da Vinci Robotic Prostatectomy
The da Vinci® Surgical System will enable a minimally invasive alternative to open surgery! The da Vinci System is the only operative robotic system cleared for Radical Prostatectomy procedure.
The American Cancer Society estimates there are 180,000-200,000 newly diagnosed cases of prostate cancer annually. Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men in the United States with approximately 40,000 men dying of it each year. Prostate removal is the most common procedure performed on men with prostate cancer and is typically performed through large, open surgical incisions, which often result in lengthy and uncomfortable patient recovery. There is a significant risk of impotence and incontinence with prostatectomies.
This state of the art equipment allows CUA to perform a minimally invasive radical prostatectomy in limited time with little or no blood loss and minimal risk of infection. Normally patients have only a brief hospital stay and require a catheter for five days. This procedure allows patients to resume normal activities much faster than with traditional surgery. View our Patient Education Section for further information on this exciting new procedure. Contact our office for a personal consultation to determine the suitability of the procedure for your individual situation.
The da Vinci Surgical System is a robotic surgical system consisting of three main components:
- The InSite® Vision System which provides the surgeon with a true minimally invasive 3-D view of the surgical field.
- The Surgical Cart that includes the EndoWrist® The EndoWrist Instruments are designed to mimic the movement of the human hands, wrists and fingers
- The Surgeon Console which contains the master controls that the surgeon uses to manipulate the EndoWrist.
What are the benefits of using the da Vinci® Surgical System?
For the surgeon, the ability to perform complex minimally invasive procedures as if they were performing open surgery procedures without the fatigue experienced in a long procedure. For the patient, numerous benefits common in existing laparoscopic procedures including reduced bleeding, less pain, smaller risk of internal scarring, shorter hospital stay and faster recovery are possible.
- Reproduce exact movements of the human hand, wrists and fingers.
- Extensive range of motion allows precision suturing, dissection and tissue manipulation.
InSite® Vision System
- Dual 3-chip digital cameras take surgery “inside” the patient.
- The only system with true 3-D vision offers depth of field and resolution.
- 3-D image aligned over the master controls provides natural hand-eye coordination that is inherent in open surgery.
The da Vinci Surgical System from Intuitive Surgical, Inc. is enabling the next generation of surgery. Incorporating the latest advancement in robotic and computer technology, the da Vinci Surgical System is the only operative surgical robot that has been deemed safe and effective by the United States Food and Drug Administration for actually performing surgery.
The da Vinci Surgical System can be used for a wide variety of surgical procedures within multiple specialties.
Robotic Prostate Surgery Patient Benefits
With its 3-D view, the da Vinci Surgical System aids the surgeon in more easily identifying vital anatomy such as the delicate nerves surrounding the prostate. The EndoWrist Instruments provide the surgeon with dexterity not available using conventional laparoscopic instruments to perform a delicate and precise surgical dissection and reconstruction of the bladder and urethra.
The da Vinci Surgical System enhances the advantages of laparoscopic surgery, which are:
- less bleeding
- less pain
- less risk of internal scarring
- less time in the hospital and faster recuperation
Visit www.davinciprostatectomy.com for more information.
Male Sexual Health
BPH (Enlarged Prostate)
da Vinci Robotic Prostatectomy